Today the Lion King had a visit at the cardiologist.
They go way back,
the doctor basically saved his life almost 15 years ago,
and although they don't know much about each other's personal life,
I can easily imagine them being friends in 'real' life.
So they spoke about his heart,
of course,
but also about his operation last year and the problems he's having now.
Right before we left,
he asked:
"Doctor, you always ask your patients how they're doing, but allow me to ask you,
how are YOU doing?"
The initial answer of the doctor was the usual one,
the one we all have ready on the tip of our tongue,
the standard answer for standard questions.
"Tutto bene, I'm doing fine..."
Then he interrupted himself,
looked my husband in the eye,
and said
"To be honest, I've just had a birthmark removed. They did a biopsy and it was a melanoma."
And it was weird but also beautiful
and we really f*cking need to take the time to listen to each other more.
So that our first thought isn't always that noone cares how we are anyway.
Clara
No comments:
Post a Comment