Wednesday, September 2, 2026

 So last year we were at the beach and the man next to us had this beautiful tattoo on his back.
For those who know Naples, that's not just a fantasy castle, it's the Maschio Angioino :



So yes, I asked if I could make a picture of it.


And for those who know, Neapolitans like tattoos.
I'd guess that at least one in three people has a tattoo (I have a small one myself).

And I don't even really know why, but I started photographing back tattoos on the beach.
Knowing how timid I am by nature,
you can imagine this was far outside my comfort zone. 
Every time I had to ask if I could make a picture
and I can guarantee you that men with back tattoos often are not the most approachable species on earth.
And I let a couple of them go because I didn't have the balls to ask them.

But noone ever said no.
It's their back, so their face is not in it, 
therefore they are fine with it.
And also,
I think,
if you have such a gigantic work on your back,
you usually are proud of it, right?
So most people were flattered when I wanted to make a picture.

Today (yes, we went to the beach on a Wednesday - again)
I noticed that I actually wanted to ask more.
"How long have you had it?"
"What's the meaning behind it?"
"How long did it take to make this masterpiece?"
...
I realized my comfort zone has been stretched out quite a bit.
Therefore,
the end of summer will be the end of the experiment.

But here are some of the prettiest :


















 

Clara 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 OK I know I've written this before, but today was the last beach day of this year. The water was a bit fresh, but the weather was heave...